This web site gives access to a database of 29,760 records of stained glass windows in
4,917 churches in the South and East of England. The navigation bar at the top of the page
gives access to the Counties encompassed by the database. Listed for each County are the Towns and Villages
and within them are the Churches whose
windows have been recorded. For each Church are details of the stained glass windows.
The database may also be searched by Firm, Designer and other means via the Search link at the top right of the page.
The scope of the record
The record is of Victorian and later stained glass church windows, and their makers and designers.
Pre-Victorian stained glass windows are not recorded.
Windows with stained glass in the tracery are only recorded in a few instances,
eg where the main lights have been taken out recently.
It is not a complete record of grisaille and ornamental windows.
Those where the designer/firm is known, those with texts and those that
seemed worthy of mention as part of the church decoration are recorded.
For space reasons, small non-conformist and CofE/RC mission churches without stained glass are normally not mentioned.
- Bedfordshire - very largely recorded by Chris Pickford, formerly County Archivist for Bedfordshire
- Berkshire - post 1974 boundary (ie North Berks excluded, but Slough area included)
- Bournemouth Area (now in Dorset) (recorded by Brian Woodruffe)
- Buckinghamshire – very largely recorded by Cliff & Monica Robinson – post 1974 boundary (i.e Slough area now in Berkshire, Linslade now in Bedfordshire.)
- Dorset (Bournemouth Area in separate section) (recorded by Brian Woodruffe)
- Hampshire - except Bournemouth (now in Dorset)
- Hertfordshire - post-1965 area, ie Potters Bar & South Mymms are included, but Barnet is not
- Inner London
- Kent - West Kent (not Bexley nor Bromley) - corresponds with West Kent volume of ‘Buildings of England’
- Outer London (formerly Essex) - boroughs of Barking & Dagenham, Havering, Newham, Redbridge & Waltham Forest
- Outer London (formerly Kent) - boroughs of Bexley and Bromley
- Outer London (formerly Middlesex) - boroughs of Barnet, Brent,
Ealing, Enfield, Haringey, Harrow, Hillingdon Hounslow
- Outer London (formerly Surrey) - boroughs of Croydon, Kingston, Merton, Richmond and Sutton
- Surrey - post 1965 area, borough of Spelthorne is included, but Croydon, Kingston, Merton,
Richmond & Sutton are not
- Sussex - east and west, including Brighton
- Wiltshire - including Swindon (recorded by Brian Woodruffe for West Wiltshire)
The records have in total over 4,000 churches - there is still some way to go for a complete record,
and it is intended to provide a regular update (perhaps yearly) as more churches are visited
and more documentation found.